Thursday, July 25, 2013

Packing: A Week at Disney World

This is a post I meant to do last summer!  We went to Disney World in June 2012 and had a blast.  I am mildly obsessed with packing, and always put a lot (read, "way too much") thought into what to bring, so even though it is a year late, I am still posting this!  Also, read about my planning and itinerary creation here: Disney World: Planning

It sounds weird, but packing for Disney was pretty tricky.  When we went to England a couple of years ago, I was determined to pack everything in a carry on, and so I carefully coordinated everything to minimize how much I had to take (see that post here: Packing Light: Ten Days in England).


The trickiness comes in because you will basically need two outfits for each day: not amenable to traveling light!  However, I knew that walking around the park would mean being hot and sweaty and I would want to change before going out in the evening.


For day, I chose basic T shirts, including some I usually use for running which are great at wicking away moisture.  Running shorts, sneakers, short athletic socks, and a visor finished things off.  I carried my Ameribag, which is designed to feel like it weighs less than it actually does.  I carried this because I knew I wanted to have my camera and water bottle in the park (hydration is crucial), but next time I think I would try to find a way to get away with less.  Actually, who am I kidding--next time I'll have children and will probably be the resident porter!


After spending the morning and lunchtime in the parks, we would usually come back to the hotel for a swim, nap, and shower before heading back out for evening activities.  Disney is super-casual, so I didn't worry about choosing anything too dressy: just khaki shorts and a white skirt that could be paired with any of the tops.  We wouldn't be walking nearly as much, so the tennis shoes and flip-flops were fine.


The extra items: I brought yoga pants and extra T shirts to wear on our travel days.  We rented a fifteen passenger van (there were 8 of us going--6 adults, a teenager, and a toddler--plus all our luggage), and this worked out well.  Comfort is key on a nine hour drive.  I also packed the necessities: pajamas, swimsuits, and a cover-up.


Here is everything (minus toiletries) as it went into the bag (a large duffle).  I liked rolling the clothes together (sorted by type:  tops, shorts, bottoms, swim, etc), because they take up less room, and don't get quite as wrinkled.  However, since then, I have purchased packing cubes, which I love.  They should feature in an upcoming packing post.


Here is a demonstration of the stack and roll method, although I am pretty sure it doesn't need explanation. 

I was pretty happy with the clothes I brought--I was comfortable and appropriately dressed and even though I brought two outfits for each day, they didn't really take up that much room.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Disney stuff is amazing - this is going to be a huge help. What is a packing cube?

Stephanie said...

Thanks @pleasanthillponderings! I hope your trip goes well! A packing cube is a nylon, zippered bag that is actually more like a rectangular prism in shape. I got a set of three in varying sizes from ebags on amazon when they were on sale for $20!: http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Packing-Cubes-3pc-Titanium/dp/B0013KBVHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374776529&sr=8-1&keywords=ebags

Unknown said...

Stephanie thanks for your great traveling trips we are 4 (2 teens)since little we hace been going to Disney a lot and found great help by having cut fuit and protein/granola bars handy at backpacks for everyone and water.. the foood lines are amazing and we only do 1 big meal at a restaurant and not picking junk food. Big breakfast in the AM and probably around 3/4 pm.big meal something light for dinner. It has worked just fine money and healthy eating specially.

Unknown said...

Stephanie thanks for your great traveling trips we are 4 (2 teens)since little we hace been going to Disney a lot and found great help by having cut fuit and protein/granola bars handy at backpacks for everyone and water.. the foood lines are amazing and we only do 1 big meal at a restaurant and not picking junk food. Big breakfast in the AM and probably around 3/4 pm.big meal something light for dinner. It has worked just fine money and healthy eating specially.

Myliana said...

It’s always interesting reading this from the other side of the pond…I’d feel the same way

Prod UA said...

It is sooo beautiful! Seriously never even considered going there before, and now it’s on my list! Planning a trip to Disney World and I’m even more excited now. Thank you.